Waste Management In The Hotel Industry
Waste management refers to the collection, transportation, disposal of garbage, sewage and other waste products. It possesses the management of all processes and resources for proper handling of waste materials, from maintenance of waste transport trucks and dumping facilities to compliance with health codes & environmental policy. Issues used in waste management:
- Creation of waste
- Reduction of waste
- Eradication of waste
- Transportation of waste
- Treatment of waste
- Recycling and reuse
- Collection and storage
- Disposal of waste products
- Education and training
- Financial and marketing aspects
- Planning and implementation
Waste management strategies in the Hotel industry:
RecyclingThe ways of recycling in hotel industry are:
- Adoption of the best recycling procedure
- Monitor procedures regularly
- Carefully trace the volume and types of recyclables
- Refine processes and get continuous feedback
The ways of waste reduction in hotel industry are:
- Hotel management must perform an easy waste review.
- Setting up proper recycling programs in all areas
- Separation of yard waste and food waste from other waste
- Gain pointers from the hauler and recycler
- Enhance management commitment to the recycling program
- Ensure sorted recyclables part for the employee’s job description
The management should adopt an environmental policy to reflect how the organization views itself in relation to the environment, neighbors and the people it serves. The experience at Lincoln Waste is the recycling is cool and guests are more like to return to a hotel which is green.
Appointing an account manager
All locations and haulers will be managed through the account manager whose main goal is to ensure that we are saving as much money as possible.
The hotels have got it beneficial to implement a “Green Team”. It refers that a number of staff from each area of the hotel are members of this team and are monitoring the success of initiatives implemented in the hotel and liaising with their staff to find any new ideas.
Waste streaming in the hotel industry is a highly effective way of reducing waste. It may be in e.g. kitchen and bar area, accommodation staff, guest accommodation bins etc.
Recording in file
The following records will facilitate the waste management systems:
- Photographic evidence
- Last year and current records from recovery operators
- Green team meeting and staff suggestions
- Records of consultation work
Waste management plays a vitally important role in reducing the overall cost of managing the hotel and enhancing the overall profitability of the hotel. It deals with the appropriate handling of waste materials, maintenance of waste transport trucks in accordance with environmental policy. The procedures of waste management include e.g. recycling, waste reduction, environmental policy, appointing account manager, generating waste prevention ideas, segregation etc. Waste management in the hotel industry is a must for the long term sustainability and profitability of the hotel industry.